Faculty of Physics Optic and Photonic Division
Welcome to Optics and Photonics Division site PDF Print E-mail

Welcome to our website.

The Faculty of Physics was established in 1999, however the tradition of physics at the Warsaw University of Technology (WUT) is 100-years old. The first formal Chair of Physics was created in 1919 and the independent Chairs existed up to 1965 when the Institute of Physics was founded. Ten years later this Institute and the Institute of Mathematics formed together the Faculty of Applied Physics and Mathematics, which existed up to 1999.

The Faculty of Physics is located in the historical Building of Physics in Koszykowa 75 Street in the Central Campus of the University. The construction of this Building, where the first physics lectures were given by prof. Wiktor Biernacki, took place in 1899-1901. Part of the Faculty is situated in the Building of Mechatronics (Chodkiewicza 8 St, Southern Campus).

Currently the Faculty of Physics employs 77 academic teachers, among them 20 professors. The Council of the Faculty has the authority to confer PhD ("doktor") and DSc. ("doktor habilitowany") degrees in physics. In the term 2005/2008 there are 48 members of this Council. The Chairman of the Council is prof. Rajmund Bacewicz - dean of the Faculty.

Apart from the Main Building, the Building of Physics is one of the oldest edifices of the Warsaw University of Technology. Both buildings were designed by Stefan Szyller, thus their architecture is similar. The construction of the Building of Physics, located in the middle of the Central Campus of the University, took place in 1899-1901. The first inauguration of the academic year at the University took place on 18th November 1915 in the Hall of the Building of Physics.

After restoration, the Hall of the Building of Physics was reopened on 9th November 2001. It is used for scientific and educational purposes (organization of conferences, seminars and exhibitions) as well as for representation (organization of inaugurations of the academic year, balls, assemblies etc.). Its area is 580m2, including 230m2 of porticos. Besides, the porticos surround the Hall also on the 1st and 2nd floors.

The Faculty of Physics often hosts exhibitions and enterprises meant for popularization of physics, as well as important scientific conferences. For example, recently the General Assembly of the Polish Physical Society, the SPIE International Congress on Optics and Optoelectronics, and the EPS Conference "Applications of Physics in Financial Analysis" took place at the Faculty. At the Faculty Seminar the staff members and students of the Faculty have the opportunity to participate in the lectures given by the outstanding specialists in various branches of physics.